LL/ Advertiser SA/WinHerald

The Longreach Leader
Saturday, 16 May 1936


A fatal accident occurred near Cork Station about 100 miles from Winton on Monday, the victim being Mr. John Francis Young, station hand of Kynuna, aged 45 years.

Deceased, who was employed as cook for Mr. R. Watkins, drover, was alone with a team of horses and heavily loaded dray belonging to the droving plant, and it is not certain how the accident happened. It is assumed that when going down a steep gully on the Mackunda Road with the brakes on Mr. Young was thrown under the horses and the dray passed over his body and inflicted injuries from his chest to his feet. Death was due to internal haemorrhage and took place about 21/2 hours after the accident.

Mr. F Snelling, manager of Cork Station, proceeded to town with the patient, who expired before an ambulance was met on the way.

Mrs. O. Williamson, Cork Street is a sister of Mr. Young.

The funeral took place on Wednesday morning, Very Rev. Arch-Deacon Robinson officiated at the graveside.

Saturday 9 October 1937.


Record for Winton Station.

7311 cattle trucked during September

...Two trainloads of cattle left on Monday for Merinda on account of Borthwicks. These came from Cork Station and will be the last consignment from there for the present season.

The Christmas Leader

Wednesday, December 15, 1943



Mr. W.E.Whitbread, who conducts the Winton-Boulia mail -  a weekly lorry service across the 250 miles of plain, reminds us that Boulia is older than Winton or Longreach (75 years to be precise). The mail from Hughenden used to run down the Western River to the pub known as the "40 mile" on the south bank of the river. After the "40 mile hotel" disappeared a Mrs. Sullivan built a hotel on the present Wokingham crossing on the Boulia road and called it the Western Downs Hotel, but the general public called it the "40 mile". This was the terminus of the mail run. Later the mail went from there to "Old Cork", when it crossed the Diamantina, and went up Mackunda Creek, partly coming back to the Boulia road, near Thompson's tank. These were the days of Cobb & Co's coaches, passengers coming from Hughenden  -  out past the Shamrock Hotel, down the Wokingham to the "40 mile" and the old gatepost near the original Elderslie shed marks where the wool used to be run out to the river. Mr. Whitbread introduced the first direct motor service to Boulia in 1928. Prior to that the journey was by broken stages, hence the existence of hotels at intervals. Cobb & Co's coaches completed the whole journey. The mail run is through Woodstock country. Woodstock with its various holdings was at one time one of the largest cattle properties in the world (3000 square miles). The present homestead is a fine building with bright gardens and possesses a spacious tennis court.

The Advertiser. Adelaide SA.

Wednesday 3 January 1906.



Charleville, December 26, 1905.

For some time the police in the Winton district have been investigating a sensational case of stealing calves from Cork Station. The police have arrested several in connection with the case, and another man is still at large. The police are now on the lookout for him. The alleged duffers have been remanded, and bail has been refused. Constable Doyle gave evidence of the arrest of Hewitts and Lilley. One hundred and twenty-eight calves were found in the camp of the alleged offenders. During the investigation the police did some hard riding, and so did Mr. Ralston, the manager of Cork Station. Two race horses in training were requisitioned for the use of the police. The country is in a bad state, and this fact rendered the work of the police difficult.

  The Winton Herald

Monday, January 21, 1929

The Weather. Mr Wm. Wall, Diamantina Mailman, reports that the recent downpours tapered off after leaving Mitchell Well, on Bladensburg. About 150 points fell at Whyrallah, only 68 points at Cork, Brighton Downs 55, and The Mayne Hotel 90.